Contents: Activities | Education | Independent Consulting | Work Experience
|2001-2004||Instituto Centro-Americano de Administración de Empresas (INCAE), San José, Costa Rica
Diploma: Master of Business Administration (4/2004)
|1973-1976||Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia
Diplomas: Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (12/76), and Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (4/76) with high honors
|1971-1973||Universidad de Panamá, Facultad de Ingeniería, Panamá|
|1958-1970||Colegio La Salle, Panamá
Diplomas: Bachiller en Ciencias y Letras (1970), Perito Comercial (1969), and Elementary School (1965)
Return to "Contents" above
- Panamanian Association of Business Executives (APEDE): Vice-President of Science and Technology Commission (1991), President of Maritime and Canal Matters Subcommission (1995)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - Panama Section: Technical Program Director for CONCAPAN I (1981), Vice-President (1981), Treasurer (1980), and Secretary (1979)
- Others: Ham radio, tennis, and member of ETA KAPPA NU, Panama's Union Club, and Georgia Tech Alumni Association (Panamá); ITIL certifications (3).
Return to "Contents" above
1999-today PANAMA CANAL AUTHORITY (A Panamanian Government Agency)
1979-1999 PANAMA CANAL COMMISSION (A U. S. Government Agency)
1977-1979 PANAMA CANAL COMPANY (A U. S. Government Agency)
Composite description of jobs in the Canal Protection, Construction, Electrical, Electronics and Telecomunications, Engineering, Technical Support, Technology, and Traffic Management Divisions, as well as Marine Bureau: Cost estimating, project evaluation (economic, financial, and technical), designing and planning modifications and improvements to existing electrical, electronic and telecommunication systems, designing new systems, preparing drawings and specifications, project management and coordination, and representing the Contracting Officer and the Division during factory acceptance tests and in meetings with Contractors, Manufacturers, joint study groups, and personnel from other organizations and PCC divisions; negotiating contract modifications, selecting consultants, evaluating proposals, preparing job orders and purchase requisitions, funds control, participate in personnel selection boards; and occasionally supervising personnel and training system operators.
Finished Special Projects:
- Canal Traffic Surveillance System with Closed Circuit Television (involves CCTV, CATV, microwaves, towers, and remote control) [$3,500,000].
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems for water pumping and distribution [$750,000] in the entire canal area. I wrote the data base and complex custom displays.
- SCADA/EMS system for generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical power [$1,400,000] in the entire canal area. I wrote the extensive data base, complex custom displays, and application programs.
- UHF-TV channels 25 (with mini SCADA) and 54.
- Computerized Fuel Dispensing Facilities for MTD [$500,000] and MR.
- Replacement of Protective Relay and Power Line Carrier Systems for the PCC power network [$2,700,000].
- Large RGB video display system [$330,000].
- Collision avoidance system (CAS) type radar for traffic surveillance of Pacific and Atlantic Side approaches to the canal [$275,000 and $640,000 respectively].
- Centralized Security Control System (CSCS). Involves access control, alarms, CCTV and fiber optics [$2,100.000].
- Replacement of weather satellite station.
- Replacement of SCADA RTUs and ALERT system for hydrology.
- 302 kHz (Miraflores) and 307 kHz (Gatun) marine band non-directional beacons (NDBs) to broadcast differential GPS corrections.
- Support to Locks Machinery Control Systems (LMCSs).
- Support to business development projects (Altec1, Bell South, Cable & Wireless Panama, Cable Onda, Global Crossing, Panamerican Fiber, UFINET, etc.).
- Support to ACP Telecommunications Regulations' project.
- Y2K Coordinator for the Engineering and Industrial Services Department.
- Telephone systems for Altos de Jesús, Balboa, Corozal Oeste, Cristóbal, Edificio de la Administración, Miraflores, MTCC and Pedro Miguel.
- Policies and procedures, as well as disaster recovery plans (DRPs) for various telecommunication systems.
- Strategic planning and governance of information and communication technologies.
- Communications, control, safety, and security systems for third set of locks (work group leader).
Special Projects to be Completed:
- Support to Enhanced Vessel Traffic Management System (EVTMS), with integrated graphical information (GIS), radar, global positioning (GPS), fog navigation, approach speed indication, draft measurement, locks positioning telemetry, and pilot training simulator subsystems.
- Support to business development projects (Global Crossing, transisthmian duct line, etc.).
- Telephone systems for Gatún, Gamboa, and Mount Hope.
1977 Helios International Inc. (General Manager)
Management, marketing loudspeaker components and equipment for speaker assembly, visit Latin American loudspeaker manufacturers and report market surveys to represented manufacturers, prepare general catalog, and translate technical documents for marketing purposes
1975 Panama Canal Company, Gorgas Hospital (temporary)
1974 Panama Canal Company, Engineering Division, Meteorologic and Hydrographic Branch (Student Assistant; temporary)
Electronic data processing of weather telemetry and preparation of seismographic reports
1973 Sosa y Barbero, S. A. (temporary)
Surveying, calculations and drafting of 23 Ha area in Lagomar, Panama
1972-1975 Agencias Escoffery, S. A. Radio communications system survey, FORTRAN computer programming, inventory data processing for 2000+ articles in 3 stores, and preparation of audiovisual presentations
Return to "Contents" above
2008-today The Louis Berger Group (LBG) (http://www.louisberger.com)
Data, televisión, video, and voice telecommunications for Panamá Pac;iacute;fico (ex Howard AFB) development project of London & Regional Properties, including fixed telephony, Metropolitan Area Network (MAN), paid televisión, radio-telephone communications consoles, trunk radio, and wireless Internet access (WiMax).
1993- Ingeniería D. E. S., S. A. (IDESSA) (http://idessa.0catch.com/english/)
Designed, evaluated, and inspected various special systems.
Special Projects Completed:
- Designed attendance control, fire alarm, and time systems, as well as inside and outside plant pathways for IRHE new headquarters.
- Designed voice/data/video structured wiring and communications systems for new Banco General headquarters. Will inspect Contractor installation work.
- Designed voice/data/video communications system for Banco Nacional de Panamáheadquarters. Also evaluated proposals and inspected Contractor installation work.
- Designed voice/data/video inside and outside telecommunications plants for Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) facilities in Naos Island.
- Consulting related to distribution automation SCADA System for Panama City.
- Performed microwave propagation studies for television links for Citadel Business, Inc.
- Performed study for Added Value Digital Network for AMERiSYS.
- Designed telecommunications outside plant for Ft. Amador tourist development.
- Cable Modem Metropolitan Network for Cable Onda in Panama City.
1991-1993 IBM/GBM de Panamá, S. A. [Ref.: Daniel Ochy & Walter Myers]
Consulting during the execution of the project to replace IRHE's COPSI SCADA/EMS system: Participated in meetings, factory inspections, and final acceptance tests, prepared periodic reports, evaluated subcontractors' design and engineering, supervised the installation of hardware/software, attended training courses, prepared drawings and data base files, and furnished technical support. Also, coordinated with other potential SCADA/EMS users so that GBM can prepare offers.
1987 Ajustadores de Centro América, S. A. [Ref.: Luis A. Ortega]
Evaluation of damages suffered in Cerro Azul by Panavisión (TV-5).
1982-83 Satellite Television Company of Panama, S. A. (SATELCO) [Ref.: Walter Arturo McGowen]
Evaluation of technical proposals and feasibility study for 2 subscription TV systems, each with a minimum of 4 channels.
1982 American Hospital, Panamá: [Ref.: Andrés López Piñeiro & Ricardo De la Guardia]
Design of the following special systems [$500,000]: 1) Telephone / Key Intercom, 2) Fire Alarm, 3) Sound, 4) Nursecall, 5) Master Antenna Television (with own closed circuit movie channels), 6) Time Control.
1981 Agencias Patton, S. A.
1980-today Tecnología y Sistemas, S. A. (TECSISA)
Private practice in consulting, inspection, and design of various special systems; technical representative.
- Design of the outside telephone plant for the Colon Free Zone's Folk River and Industrial Park - Phase I developments [Ref.: TECNIPAN]
- Preliminary design of special systems for the El Dorado Hospital [Ref.: INPASA]
1980-82 Radiol, S. A. and Simplex de Panamá, S. A. [Ref.: Nils Peterson]
1980 Panamanian Institute of Tourism (IPAT)
Evaluated technical proposals for computerized illumination system, prepared cost estimate for television broadcast system for the Atlapa Convention Center
1979-80 Empresa Consultora de Arquitectura e Ingeniería, S. A. (ECAISA): [Ref.: José Daniel Alvarado]
Inspected the following special systems for Atlapa Convention Center [$4,500,000]: 1) Sound, 2) Public Address, 3) Simultaneous Translation (with 72 radio channels), 4) Computerized Burglar-Fire Alarm and Surveillance, 5) Time Control, 6) Acoustic Shell, and 7) Stage Equipment. Also, travelled to Los Angeles, CA for factory acceptance tests and inspection.
1979 Radio Hogar, S. A. [Ref.: Father Rosendo Torres]
Designed electric and electronic systems for new AM broadcasting facilities
1979-1995 Vicente Urriola C. (architect)
Designed and inspected electrical and special systems for various residential and commercial sites.
1979 Telemúsica, S. A. [Ref.: Ricardo Bustamante]
Designed electric and electronic systems for new FM stereo broadcasting facilities with SCA subcarrier
1979 Eladio Pérez Venero (architect)
Designed electrical and special systems for 12 new duplex type residences in La Alameda, Panamá
1978-79 FASOVA, S. A. [Ref.: Virgilio Sosa & Núman H. Vásquez]
Designed and specified the following special systems for the Marriott Hotel [$1,000,000]: 1) Telephone / Message Waiting / Key Intercommunication, 2) Sound, some with public address, 3) Master Antenna/Pay Television, 4) Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Surveillance, 5) Electrowriter, 6) Radio Frequency Pocket Paging, 7) Fire Alarm, and 8) Room Status / Energy Control (computerized). Travelled to the USA and Canada for coordination purposes.